How to master a multi-market multi-lingual PR hit
SORARE MAXIMIZED THE IMPACT OF ITS €40 MILLION SERIES A FUNDING ANNOUNCEMENT BY SCORING NATIONAL AND TECH PRESS IN 9 MARKETS ACROSS EUROPE AND THE AMERICAS LEADING TO A TRADE VOLUME GROWTH OF OVER 6.5M EUROS, AND TRIPLING THE NUMBER OF PAID USERS TO A TOTAL OF 10K BY MARCH
We had been working with Sorare for a while, supporting them with a seed investment in the summer of 2020, and later, coordinating high-level partnership announcements with top football teams across various markets, from Bayern Munich, to Inter-Milan to Paris Saint-Germain.
In early 2021, the firm approached ThirdEyeMedia to help coordinate a multi-market, multi-lingual announcement. The company had raised €40 million in Series A from Benchmark and Accel.
ThirdEyeMedia worked with the firm to help them prioritize what markets to announce in, and we settled with 9 in total, 7 of which ThirdEyeMedia would coordinate on behalf of Sorare: Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, the Netherlands, and Russia.
Since Sorare had recently undergone a messaging and positioning exercise, we used this opportunity to introduce the company’s new motto, “the game within the game” to the media. We built the company’s growth story around key metrics, and differentiating factors. :
- Raising an unusually large Series A amount, from two of the world’s most prestigious Silicon Valley-based venture capital firms, a rare feat for a European early-stage startup, and a huge gage of credibility for the firm.
- World-renowned business angels such as Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian, Vaynermedia CEO Gary Vaynerchuk, and the football players Antoine Griezmann and Rio Ferdinand joined in on the funding round.
- The funds would be used to fuel the growth of Sorare’s community of football fans, accelerate the hiring of a world-class team and launch a mobile application.
Thanks to the successful strategic media announcements internationally, the trade volume more than quadrupled from 2M€ the week before, to 8.7M€ on the week of the announcement. Similarly, the number of Weekly Active Paying Users more than tripled from around 3,000 in January, to over 10,000 in March. ThirdEyeMedia positioned Sorare not just as a startup focused on increasing the connection of football fans with the sport and their idols through the development of gaming experiences, but also as an expert in the online football fandom industry, leading the new era for a global community of football supporters.
THE MEDIA IMPACT
- Over 500 pieces of coverage in national general and business press, technology and finance press across 7 markets and languages (The UK, Germany, Spain, Italy, The Netherlands, Portugal, and Russia) including blogs and syndications.
- Features in over 90 publications across national dailies and premier tech publications in all markets (Cinco Días, Expansíon, Il Sole 24 Ore, Corriere della Sera, Fortune Italia, Business Insider Deutschland).
- Successful creation of a durable, high-quality media footprint establishing a European presence for the firm.
- Effective branding of Sorare as a leading Fantasy Football platform, in the development of fantasy football digital experiences, associated with some of the world’s most prestigious football teams such as Liverpool, Barcelona FC, Benfica, Paris Saint-German, FC Bayern Munich, and world-class players like Cristiano Ronaldo, Gerard Piqué, Ángel Di María, Luis Soárez, Antoine Griezmann, and Rio Ferdinand.